BY JAKE NEHER
Michigan Public Radio Network
The Michigan Department of Education’s website could be taken offline as lawmakers debate whether to fund a set of nationwide school standards. The state budget that took effect Tuesday bars the department from spending any money to implement the Common Core State Standards.
Martin Ackley is with the MDE. He said the department has asked the state to take down the website.
“By the mere fact that we have information and assistance to local districts infused throughout our website, we felt, and we believe, that we would be in violation of the state law,” Ackley said.
Ackley said the department will try to make changes to the website and have it back online as soon as possible.
The state House approved a resolution last week that would allow the department to continue implementing the standards. A Senate committee could take up the issue as early as this week.
Copyright 2013, MPRN